🍇Berry season is upon us!🍓
Berry season has begun! For the past week, volunteers have been able to harvest strawberries and mulberries. In the next couple of weeks, blackberry season will begin as well. Remember, the darker the berry, the sweeter the juice!
As for the rest of the crops currently growing in the garden, here is when you can expect them to be ready to be harvested:
- Lettuce – June 12th
- Garlic – mid-June
- Kale – June 18th
- Peas – June 19th
- Beets – June 23rd
- Carrots – July 7th
- Collard Greens – July 8th
- Peanuts – August 22nd
As some of these crops finish their growing cycles, we will replace them with season appropriate plants, like corn, cucumbers, peppers, and sweet and regular potatoes. If all goes to plan, we’ll be harvesting until we close in October!
Special visit from Jemma from the Jemmanade Stand
The garden had a special visitor on her first work day in June — Jemma of the Jemmanade Stand! Jemma picked mint, lavender, and took home a small batch of strawberries. The garden hopes to supply Jemma with more fruits from the garden for future lemonade flavors as they become available. You can read more about Jemma’s visit here. You can check out her tasty lemonades this Saturday, June 5th, 11:30am-4pm at the corner of I (eye) and Delaware.
🤒Gardening during the pandemic😷
We will be following the guidelines released by the DC Mayor regarding public activities for those who are vaccinated, unvaccinated or immunocompromised.
- Fully vaccinated people do not need to wear masks in any setting, indoors or outdoors.
- Unvaccinated people should wear a cloth face covering or mask at any indoor or outdoor public setting. People who have not yet received the vaccine may do the following activities without face masks:
- casual outdoor activities with members of your household (e.g., biking, running, walking);
- attending a small outdoor gathering with friends and/or family who are fully vaccinated;
- visiting indoors with fully vaccinated people from one household.
Should anyone need a mask, we will have some in our shed.✌🏾